Dover’s Chapel of St Edmund of Abingdon
spacer
spacer
Home Page
The history of the chapel
The archeological dig undertaken in the 1960's
The restoration of the Chapel
The latest images
How to find the Chapel
Regular services
Get in touch or make a contribution
spacer
spacer rule
spacer
Dover Museum spacer spacer
Dover Museum
spacer
spacer rule
spacer
Craig Telescope spacer spacer
Craig Telescope
spacer
spacer rule
spacer
Council for Kent Archaeology spacer spacer
Council for Kent Archaeology
spacer
spacer rule
spacer
 
Grateful thanks to all those that have provided many of the facts, images, references and details in these pages

This is a non-profit site
 
 
spacer Rev Terence Edmund Tanner

Father Terence Edmund Tanner arrived in Dover on 9th November 1958 as the new Parish Priest of St Paul’s RC church.


spacer
spacer
Rev Terence Edmund Tanner
spacer
Rev Terence Tanner - 1968.
spacer
Terence Tanner was born in 1916.  As a young man he contracted double pneumonia and suffered tuberculosis in both lungs, one of which was removed. It was only with a special dispensation from Archbishop Amigo that he was able to study for the Priesthood and was subsequently ordained. He was parish priest at Hindhead from 1954—58.

He was something of a specialist in church design and decoration, undertaking the completion of the church at Hindhead. His interest in the arts was exemplified by his beautiful handwriting and he was deeply versed in Jungien psychology. He had a great love for Our Lady.

Immediately upon his arrival in Dover, Father Tanner found the fabric of the local Catholic church of St Paul’s was in a very poor state of repair. Work on the restoration of the church started on June 1st 1959, the ninety second anniversary of the commencement of its building.

Not only did he undertake this considerable project, but he was significantly responsible for the building of Buckland church Our Lady of Dover, St Martin’s RC church at Aycliffe, St Richards Primary School, St Edmunds Secondary School, and Riverside Centre for aged people in Dover.

Following the restoration work of St Edmund’s Chapel he continued his priestly duties until he was ‘moved on’ under the Bishop of Southwark’s instructions and left Dover in 1972. He died in Leominster in 1982. RIP.

back to top of page >>

spacer
arrow spacer
spacer
rule
spacer
arrow spacer
spacer
rule
spacer
arrow spacer
spacer
rule
spacer
arrow spacer
spacer
rule
spacer
spacer
spacer
St Edmund
spacer
St Richard
spacer
Plaque dedicated to Rev T Tanner
spacer
Emedded in the South wall is a dedication to Rev T Tanner.
spacer
plaque dedicated to Rev T Tanner
spacer
The words on the plaque dedicated to to Rev T Tanner.
 
 

 
 
 
 
St Edmund's Arms St Edmund's Arms St Richard's Arms St Richard's Arms